Friday, October 23, 2009

My Club is Better than Your Club (part 1)

Let's face it: Churches, organizationally speaking, are faith-based clubs, of which you are either a member or not.

They are all looking for new committed members, so that they can continue to exist, or possibly even grow. Every one of them has good reasons why theirs is better than the other ones in town. It might be better music, better drama, a better pastor, better preaching/teaching, better facilities, nicer people, better multimedia, staff, missions projects, community activities, outreach programs, Bible studies, doctrinal statements, counseling, youth activities, kids' programs, political associations, status in the community, etc.

Go ahead, ask any pastor or priest why their church is a better choice than the other ones in town--if they are a good salesperson, you should get a nice list of reasons.

I remember once seeing a Catholic priest meeting with some potential members, saying "the thing about the Catholic church is that everything you see inside the building MEANS something." I don't know...that might be a selling point for somebody, but I don't really care that much about symbolism.

I guess I need a different kind of club--maybe something a little more intellectual and edgy. That's my personality, after all.

There's nothing wrong with joining a club that fits your personality, right? So if you find one you like, why not? Go for it.

What is a club? It's:
"an association of persons for some common object usually jointly supported and meeting periodically; also : a group identified by some common characteristic b : the meeting place of a club <lunch at the club> c : an association of persons participating in a plan by which they agree to make regular payments or purchases in order to secure some advantage." (Merriam-Webster)
That could describe most churches, I think.

So then, what does it take to join a club?

First, you need to be eligible and willing to commit to membership. In the case of church membership, to be eligible, you need to agree to the church's doctrinal statement. In some you need to say you have a personal relationship with Jesus. Of course they hope that you believe the statement with your whole heart, not just agree mentally. But since there's no way of proving that one way or the other, a mental agreement will have to do.

Most churches also have some doctrinal "distinctives" that set them apart from the other churches in town. These might be something along the lines of baptism, communion, spiritual gifts, the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the nature of the trinity, predestination, free will, or the end times. You'll need to agree to those too. On the other hand, if you're not sure about your beliefs in these areas, don't worry that much. You'll have plenty of time to be taught these things as a member. Just sign the paper, ok? Let's not split hairs.

Second, you will need to be accepted as a member. You're not going to embarrass the church with your reputation, are you? Or make it seem like the church is condoning a sinful lifestyle? Or, maybe you have baggage from your last church. If you have a pentecostal background, for example, are you going to disrupt our worship services with your demonstrative worship methods? You're not going to fight with us over our view on baptism, are you? We need to make sure you really "fit" here.

But if everybody's agreeable up to this point, you can become a member--you're in! What now?

Well, of course there's the whole money issue. How else can we keep the lights on and the staff paid? We might call it a tithe, or an offering, or something else; the important thing is that our club keeps running. So above all, make sure you are giving money regularly, sacrificially, and faithfully. You don't want to be responsible for "robbing from God" and letting our club fall apart, do you?

Beyond giving money, you should also make sure to participate in the activities and classes as they're offered. It might fill up your schedule to an unmanageable level, but the important thing is that you are getting attached to THIS group of people and that you are learning OUR way of thinking and relating to God. Then you will truly understand, at a deep level, why our club is better than the others in town.

I remember being raised Lutheran, and being taught why their view on communion was right and the other Synod's view was wrong, and why they didn't associate with churches that associated with certain Christian movements, like ecumenism, for example. Later on, I discovered literature from the Worldwide Church of God, where I learned all about why they "got it" about God's plan and all the other churches in the world didn't.

Later, I became involved in a United Pentecostal Church and learned how the rest of Christendom had been deceiving the world with their unbiblical, tri-theistic view of the trinity and baptism. I also learned there that your clothing and appearance set you apart from the world (and the other so-called "Christians") that doesn't know God. In those days, I felt very superior to all the other, less enlightened, Christian clubs. That was a great feeling!

After a few years in that club, however, I started investigating into the world of Fundamentalism, where I learned that everything I learned at the Pentecostal church was wrong. I learned this from the best of the best, at a seminary led by a high-powered Bible teacher named John MacArthur. It totally messed up my previous church associations, and I had to upend my life once again, but at last I had found a better, more biblical club to join...for now.

But then, after a while, I discovered that Fundamentalism not only has deep divisions within its own ranks, but it ultimately cares a lot more about being doctrinally right than loving people (especially people with inferior doctrine)...so, I slowly walked away, shifted my paradigm once again, and joined a more moderate kind of Evangelicalism. It was kind of a mix of former Fundamentalists and Protestants and Catholics and Pentecostals who decided not to talk about these things in the open. Just keep things simple, don't dig too deep, put on an inspiring presentation on Sundays, keep people busy with activities and classes, and we're good to go! That worked really well for quite some time.

But a funny thing happened there, too...

After ten years of commitment to this particular club as a member and as leader/pastor, I was informed that I was a "square peg" where they needed a "round hole". I didn't fit in anymore, if indeed I ever did in the first place. How could this be, I wondered? I thought the body of Christ accepted all kinds of people, even different kinds of leaders? Nope, it really doesn't work that way at this club. You really need to fit in. You really need to be a representative of "our way" of doing things. If you're going to be a member and a leader in our club, you have to see things our way, and fit in with our style. Apparently one of the games they played in this club was "King of the Mountain"--and in the end, I lost.

Fair enough, I guess. If I joined the team at McDonald's and refused to wear the uniform, I would probably get fired. If I joined the local Republican party, but kept bringing up problems and questions with the party, I might get tossed out. I can appreciate that.

I just have to wonder though...what do all of these clubs have to do with the body of Christ? Is this really what Jesus had in mind when He birthed The Church? Didn't Jesus come up with something better than a myriad of Christian clubs competing for members?

Gosh, I sure hope so! More on this to come...

6 comments:

  1. Mike,
    I appreciate your insights about the "club." Taking it a little further, Jesus didn't birth the church, and certainly not The Church. He wasn't a christian.
    If He walked into any church any day, looking to find out what we are doing in His name, He'd find very little recognizable as what He was/is getting at.
    Actually He might get thrown out for not "fitting in", or because He smelled bad, or the christians didn't like the looks of the tramps and whores who follwed Him through the door.
    I'll stick with Him, and the tramps and whores and see the in-breaking of the Kingdom. If you'd like to converse more about such things you can get contact info on my Facebook page. Thanks again, interesting.
    Peace, Skip Newby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts here, I've been thinking about this whole "club" phenomenon on and off lately, as I reflect on my own growing up in the church. It really does boil down to some type of "cost/benefit" exchange sort of thing. There are certain expectations, once you're a member of the "club". You expect to have weekend retreats, or trips, or activities for your kids in a "safe" environment. You pay your dues, and in return you have a place where you are "somebody", people know you, blah blah blah... You're "in"...

    That is, (as you shared) until you're out! It's sad how only then do most of realize just what sort of thing we were a part of for all those years....

    peace, Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, this is the easy way out. Being a part of a church definitely takes work, requires choices, and often means putting up with half-baked, ego-centric people both in the pews and behind the pulpit. But that's the point. It's only in that type of community where we come face-to-face with all the garbage. Running away from church is trendy in the current culture and gives the false impression of courage. But it would actually take a lot more courage to stick with it and let God do his work.

    Sounds like you're starting a new club ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so confused by church. We've been in many and still feel God wants us in a church. We are actually in the midst of maybe becoming members of a church, but something doesn't sit right with me. It really bothers me. We approached the pastors with an issue, they met with us, but then told us not in these words that basically they could not help us until we were members. Right now my daughter has a heart condition and I informed them and all they cared was that we get our membership papers in on time. Are you freaking serious? I just never met pastors that cared more about paperwork than people. And then there is a big push to become extroverted and hang out with people and honestly, that's not me. I have special needs kids and my life is full. I can't cram anymore fellowship activities into my life. I am committed to my family, not social functions. Yet I feel obligated and guilted into it and if I don't, I'm some sort of heathen. We never stay second hour at church either and we get the stare from people because of it. I just feel myself being turned off more and more, wondering if I'm the problem or what. So if this is the way church is, how do I find a church that isn't a club? How do I know that a church is right? I felt like God was telling us this church was where we needed to be, but now I feel annoyed and angry at it and feel like they don't care. so now again, back at square one not knowing what to do. I'm sick of church hopping, but I don't want to commit to something that will never commit to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a militant agnostic who teeters on the rungs of atheism. I was raised a catholic, suffered a plethora of emotional abuse under the rule of twisted psychotic nuns and unbalanced lay teachers. Thankfully I was able to be given a reprieve and got to go to public high school and I was surrounded by decent educators who respected me and I respected them. In college it is then I became a full fledged agnostic.

    The greatest people I've ever come to know are atheists and agnostics. The cruelest, the most ignorant and the most mentally unbalanced people that I've ever crossed paths with are christians (mostly catholics and evangelical types.)

    Through my observations ardent believers in religions and spirituality are some of the most shallow minded and difficult people to converse with on many issues. Atheists and agnostics I see as critical thinkers. Most atheists and agnostics are highly educated and well disciplined in aborting a conversation that they know isn't going anywhere when they, the non believer, knows that he or she is right and the believer is way too warped to apply a mere iota of common sense to their argument as to why "they're right and you're wrong."

    As younger people today demand evidence to support the grandiose claims behind religion and spirituality, and no rational answers to be given, the fate of not only the catholic church is definite but all religions in general. Perhaps the extremist faiths shall ponder on due to the penalties bestowed upon anyone who defects.

    Worldwide the atheist population is growing faster than ever before. In North America alone the atheist/agnostic population represents almost 20% of the nations population. That is a substantial gain from just forty years ago when the atheist/agnostic population in North America was only about 5%. In hindsight we can take the Atheists Creed with validation: There is no God or gods, there is no heaven or hell, there are no saints and no miracles. The only world we'll even know is our physical life here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let God do his work? Where does that happen? I haven't seen it in 40 plus years of "church", in several different churches. I don't think its a question of God doing his work so much as people pursuing him and truth. That's what isn't happening most of the time. People are not that interested in God and his way and truth. They do and believe what they want. As long as the open a bible and make some effort to do something that allows them to be in agreement and not rock the boat to fit into the social club of their choice their conscience is assuaged and they are content.

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Write your thoughts here.

Comments are moderated, so they may not appear right away. The author reserves the right to block any comments that are irrelevant or accusatory.

If you like the blog, please sign in above to follow along!